One good mop sauce is sweet, sour and spicy. The intensity of the tastes should be balanced exactly in this order. There are recipes online where the sauce has a lot of ingredients and it is boiled for hours. It can be done faster, and it’s not worse than that. Our sauce is good for pork and beef.
- To simmer the mop, choose a sauce pan that you don’t feel sorry for ruining it. Keeping the mop on the hot plate of the BBQ smoker can burn it. It happens when the sauce pan stays for a long time and the liquid evaporates;
- First, bring the pan to a boil with a little water;
- For a thicker consistency, take some apple jam or crushed pineapple preserve (use a blender if necessary).
- Both apple and pineapple give sweet and sour undertones. Pineapple also has the softening properties for the meat;
- Add a couple of tablespoons of tomato sauce or ketchup;
- Add chopped chilli. Use the quantity as desired, consider that the longer you simmer, the spicier it gets.
- However, when tasting hot, the taste of chilli is much more intense;
- Extend the sauce with water or wine. Note that the wine adds a sour undertone;
- You can add fresh herbs such as rosemary, thyme or oregano;
- Simmer for about 15-20 minutes and season with salt. In seasoning with salt, the saltiness of the meat must be considered. If the meat is rather salty, hold it back and vice versa. So, taste the meat before and then season the mop sauce with salt;
- Add the butter and place the sauce to the BBQ smoker hot plate to keep it warm;